1.03.2014

Resolutions

New Year Resolutions. They're pretty much made to be broken for anyone who's as weak willed as me. But still, it's always good to start the year with good intentions. From the frivolous to the somewhat more pious, I thought I'd put mine on here in an attempt to make them stick. They say it takes 30 days to form a habit, so here goes.... 

1. Read more. Less TV in bed and Instagram browsing on the tube, more page turning needs to happen.


2. Do Yoga at least twice a week. I love yoga, I feel great after it, so why am I so bad at keeping at it consistently? 2014 needs to be the year it becomes something I fit other stuff around rather than just slotting in. 


3. Remember this more.... 


4. And this..... 


5. Wear dresses more often. Dresses often make me feel like a 5 year old and are normally solely reserved for the beach. But I love the idea of them and seeing them on other people and recently I've started to forget why I don't wear them more often.... If there's one person who gives a good lesson in the adaptability of dresses, its Alexandra Spencer. I'm using this babe as my starting point for rediscovering the dress.


6. Travel more. O.K, lots of you might be thinking I already travel quite a lot. And while yes, I'm very lucky being able to go to the places I've been over the last few years, there's no harm in trying to do even more of what you love most. Just a few of the places I'm keen to tick off the bucket list over the next few years are New York, Sri Lanka, Scandinavia, Paxos, Pondicherry, Venice, Provence, Burma, the Amalfi coast, Brazil, Palm Springs and both L.A and Tulum (again). This little eco place in Portugal looks pretty lovely too..... Better get saving.



7. Cook more. I already cook quite a lot so i guess this is more about trying new things and experimenting rather than sticking to the tried and tested. 


8. And bake more.


9. Go to bed earlier. I've always gone to bed pretty late and often don't end up turning the light out till 1 A.M all week. When you have to get up at 7 its not all that sustainable, so I'm going to attempt an earlier lights out policy during the week. Rock and roll. 


10. Drink more of this.... 


11. Buy a juicer/blender and actually use it.


12. Find a good colourist and stick to it. No more ombre but yet to find the right person to take me back to blonde.... This will be the year I find my go-to. Superficial but important for someone scarred by the perils of bleach.


13. Use this motto as my rule of thumb for shopping. Sabrina from After DRK has been doing something similar with her 5 piece French wardrobe mantra and has been inspiring me to do the same.... 


14. And don't forget the basics. Simplicity will always win. Jeans, t-shirts and sweaters are always the best if you get them just right. 



15. Learn to make a mean cocktail or three.


16. Wear nicer things to bed.  I pretty much wear tracksuit bottoms and baggy t-shirts to bed. Most of which now have holes in them. Wouldn't mind upping the ante with proper PJs for once. Erin shows us how its done.



17. Less new, more old. Some of my favourite pieces in my wardrobe that I wear over and over are from the likes of eBay, Vestiare Collective, The Outnet and vintage stores. Be it vintage, past season or second-hand, it pays to take time and shop the old as well as the new.


18. Buy, frame and make more art. 



19. Love more. That sounds kind of intense at first glance but it can really mean everything from replying to friend's texts and e-mails faster, seeing family more, being more self-confident and giving more to the person you're with. It's an idea that stems from a really insightful book I've just read called Loveability. No New Year is complete without at least one vow to be generally better to yourself and loved ones.





20. And last but not least, remember this, especially when failing at one or all of the above.....




images via Pinterest, After DRK, Delciiously Ella, Columbine, 4th and Bleeker, Studded Hearts

24 comments:

  1. I love this list! I also always make New Year's resolutions - even though they're pretty much the same every year. My list looks very similar to yours! ;) Plus the obligatory "clean eating month" in January - and vegan recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. So inspiring. Thanks for the post!

    http://lettersfrombee.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list, saved it to remind myself during the year to the important things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is such a thought-out and inspiring post! lovely to read xx

    ive also got a huge pamper-pack giveaway on my blog! :)

    http://gypsywardrobe.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh these resolutions speak right out of my soul! Let's make them happen ;)
    xx
    www.thefashionplaybook.de/blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. really inspiring. my resolutions are very similar to yours! Xx.

    ReplyDelete
  7. so so lovely, really inspiring...good luck!

    http://pomegranateandcoffee.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. perfect!!.. really love the 'things too remember'......

    http://www.myclayexperience.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this list! I think I might now make one myself. Good luck sticking to them!xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great resolutions! xx
    http://www.creativityandchocolate.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a really, really sweet list

    ReplyDelete
  12. The perfect list of resolutions!

    http://atleastitsaestheticallypleasing.blogspot.co.uk/

    x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am usually anti-resolutions because, as you say, they seem made to be broken. But, I love yours. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. love your list, have to bookmark it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love so much this post!!! And the pictures are amazing, especially the fact that says "Buy less, choose more" :P

    Happy New Year

    http://statebeauty.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been reading fashion blogs for ages, and now that there are an overwhelming amount, I gravitate towards a few favorites. Yours has been a late discovery but I wanted to tell you how much I enjoy it, I can't quite put my finger on it but your writing and perspective feels so much more genuine and relatable than many other bloggers out there. It doesn't hurt that I adore your style and that I, too, have a penchant for more minimal/classic looks. Anyways, thanks for being such a treat.

    - Jessica
    TwentiesCollective.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sweetie I love this post; I actually have of these as my resolutions too; am now inspired to do a post like this aswell.
    Good luck hun and I hope by december 2014 we will tick of all our resolutions.
    Afeeyah xo

    New post ~ http://smilerrr.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/pastel-love.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really haveto do yoga
    http://www.newayofteenagelife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful post, love the pics!

    Greetings from London,

    chrissabella.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful, Lucy - very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such great new year resolutions! Inspired me very much! xx Freya

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great post!

    http://closertotheedgeblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice post.
    Getting back in to wearing dresses is one of my resolutions too! I'll admit I'm waiting for better weather though!

    One in every colour

    ReplyDelete